Hello all! Yes, I do need to apologise for ANOTHER long silence – trust me, I have a HUGE backlog of dolls to feature and a correspondingly large number of posts which I have written in my head. I’ll get around to it … Er, probably …
Anyhoo, you know I don’t talk much about non-doll business and it’s not been the only factor, but the main reason for my long silence has been my almost constant sickness. This has been happening because in October, I’m due to have another baby – a girl this time.
On the day I found out I was having a girl, I visited the Disney Store and I ended up buying this Classic Princess –
Now, Cinderella is not my favourite Princess, but she seemed like the most suitable celebration doll. Maybe because in many ways she’s the Primo Princess – the most magical, Princessy Princess there is? Maybe because my doll room (soon to be a baby room – don’t ask me what I’m going to do with the dolls, we are just going to have to share space for a bit until I figure something out) is Cinderella coloured? I don’t know, I didn’t really stop to analyse it – I just bought the doll, and I’m very happy with her.
A few weeks later, Chico, one of my doll friends who I confided in about this development, sent me a celebration gift –
How strange that with no discussion and no particular reason why we should, we both settled on the same character! Or is it? Of course, the earlier, animated Disney version of Cinderella downplays the role of Cinderella’s birth mother, possibly because they didn’t want to bring the sadness of her death into the story. However, in older versions of the story, Cinderella’s Mother is a major theme throughout – for instance in the Grimm Fairytale it is the spirit of Cinderella’s Mother, in the guise of a tree watered by Cinderella’s tears, who watches over her and grants her wishes. So in some ways, the Cinderella story is all about Mothers and Mother love – an element that last year’s’ live action version, which the second doll is based on, reintroduces. In fact, in this more recent version, Cinderella’s moral code in life, “have courage and be kind”, is passed on to her by her Mother.
On to the dolls.
By the way, you’ll see that like so many other people, I’ve fallen prey to the charms of photo editing app Prisma – so much fun, you should try it if you haven’t already! The only downside being those big hideous watermarks at the bottom of the pictures. Think I’ll crop them out in future, I just couldn’t be bothered this time.
Things I like about Disney Store Classic Cinderella:
* I love what a cartoony yellow blonde she is. These days, so many dolls (especially Barbies) go for a realistic look, so there’s something charmingly different and kind of vintage about Cinderella’s yellow-blonde up do.
* Side glance. You have to love a doll who is looking sideways under her lashes. I find that they are often the nicest ones to photograph.
* I love all the Disney Store Classic Princess head sculpts, and this one is no exception. It’s just beautiful, and although it’s not an exact resemblance I do like the fact that it looks more like the Disney character than the more Barbue-like dolls who have gone before.
* The whole sky-blue theme. I love this colour. Her dress is simple but pretty, and the black choker sets it off well. It works.
On to Cinderella number two:
Things I like about Wedding Day Cinderella:
* She may not be as fancy-schmancy as the Disney Store version, but I think I like this Mattel version better in many ways. That face sculpt is just beautiful, it reminds me of the Grace Kelly dolls.
* Her dress – for playline, that’s not a bad stab at Cinderella’s spectacular wedding gown, and I do like the fact that there’s so much material in her skirt. Gorgeous.
* The details – her little flowered headpiece, her flower ring, the flowers on her shoes. Cute.
* As with Fairy Godmother, who I posted about at the start of the year, I love how she is holding her arms and hands. It,any not be the pivotal body type that I prefer but it’s actually a lot of fun to photograph and adds to her sense of character.
That’s it! What do you think – do you have either of these dolls, or are you tempted?
No doubt I will continue to be sick and busy for a while yet, but I will try to post a bit more often as I’ve missed it. It just remains for me to say thanks to Chico for his very generous (and slightly spooky) present🙂 I love her!