I have owned a Generation Girl Ana for quite some time, but she had problems. Quite a lot of problems:
* Some little darling or other had painted her eyelids with blue eyeshadow. Actually, they did quite an accurate job. The problem was that when I took it off, the oils in the eyeshadow took some of her face paint off too.
* Part of the lip paint missing.
* Fringe (bangs) had been completely cut off, and some of the length of her hair had been cut.
* Nip to the end of the nose – nothing missing, but there is a slice-mark
* Various black pen marks all over body.
The black felt tip mostly rubbed off, so that was OK. I decided to ignore the nose nip – I can live with it. The missing eyelashes and the lips could be repainted easily enough. It was the hair that posed the biggest problem. As I think I might have mentioned (like, every post – I’m so annoyed about it) I can’t reroot at the moment. To be honest, re-rooting Barbies is difficult anyway. The plugs are small and fragile so its easy to split them, especially if you’re using a rooting tool, and other methods of rerooting are so time-consuming.
I thought about it. One of the few things I do not like about the Generation Girl range is the lack of differentiation between Lara and Ana, who share a face sculpt. They are both great dolls, but they both have long, straight, dark hair. At least Tori and Chelsie (who also share a face sculpt) have different hair colours. Ana is the athlete of the group, and I always thought it a short haircut would suit her better than long hair anyway. Short haircuts are pretty easy to do without having to resort to a reroot. I decided to give it a go.
I considered various ways of giving her short hair. I’ve always wanted to try flocking a doll’s head and I was still thinking about ordering some materials for it when I came across several pictures of female dolls with short, moulded hair – they looked great. I started researching air-drying clay to make my own version but I wasn’t convinced this would work out, because sometimes it shrinks after it dries. Then, I had to order some Milliput for another project. Milliput is a 2 part epoxy putty that dries very hard and water-resistant, and it doesn’t shrink. It was recommended to me by Lon in a comment she left a few weeks ago.
First of all, I cut off Ana’s remaining hair and then removed her head from her body. Then, I pulled the stubble out through the neck hole with tweezers, like I would have done if I was starting a re-root. I popped her head back on because the boyf warned me that the Milliput would crack if I flexed it while it was drying.
Next, I got the Milliput out and smooshed equal parts from the two sticks together. I wore gloves to do it because that’s what the instructions said to do, but my gloves were pretty rubbish and I’m afraid I took them off after I was through with the smooshing.
Next, I did my best to shape it to her head. I used an old toothbrush to create a bit of texture. Then I left it to dry for about five hours.
I actually liked the orange colour, but I decided to keep her in character and make it dark brown. I also repainted her eyelashes (I might have made them a leetle bit longer at the outer corners) and lips. I really like how it turned out, and I am definitely going to be giving a few more dolls Milliput hairstyles.