Just recently, I have reached a bit of a Barbie hiatus. I’m not saying I’ve had enough of Barbie, or that I’ve purchased everything I want, or even that there are no current release Barbies who interest me. I’m just feeling a bit unmotivated to make loads of new Barbie purchases when I still need to invest time, energy (and yes, money) in my existing collection.
Take the Basics, for instance. I love my Basic Crew, but I haven’t added to them – or done much with them at all – for quite some time now. Mostly, this is because I absolutely hate the model muse body. I hate its skinniness, the way the torsos are prone to staining and most of all, the rigidity. I just don’t enjoy dressing them, posing them or photographing them as much as I do my more poseable dolls, so they have languished for ages, taking up room in my doll drawers. I’ve considered selling them on, but I’ve decided that would be a massive mistake and I’d regret it. They are great dolls with great faces and wonderful fashions. Obviously, what I need to do is rebody them all.
I’ve put this off for the longest time, for a few reasons. Firstly, my boyfriend pointed out that I was planning on dismantling some pretty expensive dolls. He’s right. Basics have mostly risen in value over the last couple of years (in the UK anyway) and although they’re not the most valuable dolls I own, they’re not cheap either. But, I’ve reasoned with myself, I would only be selling them on if I was unhappy with them, and I actually want to take them to bits to make myself happier with them. Then I wouldn’t want to sell them. And there are people out there who buy hybrids. The people who like dolls all minty probably want them NRFB anyway, and all of mine were deboxed as soon as I got them.
The second reason I’ve been putting it off is because, up until now, I would rather have spent the money I am going to spend on replacement bodies on new dolls instead. But I’ve had a rethink about this approach. I don’t want to be buying new things whilst not enjoying a drawerful of dolls that I already own. That way lies hoarding madness.
Thirdly, I’ve put it off because there are a few dolls that, for one reason or another, I might never be able to rebody. Well, I’ve decided I might as well start, and maybe solutions will present themselves regarding these dolls. Hopefully I’ll be coming back to this in future posts …
Anyway, the first doll to get rebodied was Collection One Model Three. Because she is so pale, a LIV body seemed the best option. This is great as far as I’m concerned as I have some LIVs I’ve picked up cheap and they have great articulation, much better than Fashionistas, and also she can wear model muse size clothes, although she doesn’t look as bony as MM. Here’s Model 3 side by side with her donor:
As you can see, there are a few differences, but not enough to put me off. LIV’s legs are a little shorter, but I don’t care about that. Her shoulders are a little broader, and that’s a little bit of an issue for me given the smallness of the Basics’ heads, but not enough of an issue to put me off this body. The main problem for me was the shape of the feet:
There’s not a great deal of difference in foot size, but LIV’s feet are a lot less steeply sloped than model muse’s, and there’s no way she’s getting into those killer shoes. I did want the new body to be able to accommodate the whole Basics outfit, but I resigned myself to losing the shoes. LIV has some great shoes, and some Barbie shoes do fit her as well.
Here’s M3 shortly after the rebody – very pleased with the colour match!
The next doll I rebodied was my Lara-faced Collection One Model 2. Her skin tone was a little darker, so I decided to use a Fashionista – actually, I used the Summer I originally bought to do a rebody, then toyed with the idea of keeping her, then realised I didn’t like her after all … anyway, her skin tone is very slightly darker than Lara’s and I wasn’t sure it would work out, but it did. I have noticed when doing other rebodying projects that for some reason, the match doesn’t have to be completely 100% perfect to look convincing.
Anyway, shortly after this flurry of beheading and re-heading, I travelled to my parents’ house for the weekend. In a panic, I had thrown a fairly random assortment of clothes and shoes in a bag … none of them seemed suitable for my M2 and my M3 still had her LIV shoes on, so I left it that way. Here they are trekking round my parent’s garden this evening 🙂
Sometimes when I make changes to my dolls, I have to resign myself to the fact that I won’t know whether I’m doing the right thing or not until after I’ve done it. Well, I’ve done it and I’m really happy about it. I’m already planning new outfits and new uses for these dolls who have lain idle for so long, and I’m looking forward to doing more.