Hello and Happy New Years Eve! I got quite a few MH dolls for Christmas (because I am a lucky, spoiled doll collector) and I think I’m going to have to do a group post about the rest to save on time, but this one was my stand-out item. Turns out that she is every bit as interesting, beautifully designed and fabulous as you might expect:.
GREAT things about Wydowna:
* I love the fact that they mainstreamed this character, giving us far-flung (eg non-US) collectors a chance of getting her without having to spend hundreds on the SDCC exclusive version.
* The extra arms. I was so busy geeking out about everything else do to with this doll, I never even thought about how much fun all the arms would be to pose for photos until I’d deboxed her. Pure, unadulterated dolly fabulousness.
* while we’re at it, the hands. Most of the hands are posed differently – we have devil-horns, pointing fingers etc. So fun
* She’s actually quite spooky. I think that most MHs are cute, and very few (Skeleton CAM and Nefara spring to mind) have any level of *shudder* value. Maybe it’s the black fangs or the plethora of limbs, but Wydowna is scarier than your average MH.
* Her clothes. The comic-strip, pop-art thing – wonderful. I love the fact that her long tops can all be worn as micro-dresses. There p isn’t one item of clothing in the pack that I don’t like, ditto the shoes and boots. I particularly love the cunning way that everything has been cut to fit around the extra arm joints in a manner that looks natural (natural for a MH anyway):
Enough, before I start foaming at the mouth here …
* The mostly earthy tones are great with her skin, and such a nice break from pink. These days, even Operetta is going pink (puce? Fuchsia? Looks pink to me) so Wydowna stands out even more.
* “SPLAT”?? “SPLAT!!” Hahaha!
Not-so-great things about Wydowna (I only have two):
* I do like the simple style of her hair, but must we have a raw plastic band in it? Also, like my “I Love Fashion” Frankie, she looks rather thinly rooted to me and I can see a bit of scalp showing through when her hair is disrupted. Lastly, she had kinks in her ponytail from the box bands that held her in place, and I had to boil wash them out.
* These AMAZING shoes, which I ADORE (Spider-Man meets Venetian Courtesan!!) do not fit well on her feet and the heel is bent inwards towards the shoe 😦 …
As always, I need to mention that I don’t care much about these things, though. I am more than happy with Wydowna, who (if I was ever to make such a list) would surely be among my top ten Monster High dolls. Keep em coming just like this, Mattel …