Yep. I started renaming the Barbies. Where will it all end?? Haha.
Anyway, I recently lucked out at a car boot sale where I found two Fashionistas for £1.50 each. This is pretty much unheard-of around here. Rebodying bonus!
The first body, an AA skin type, went to my “Seven Days of Style” Kayla (Dahna). The second one was a more tricky choice, but I finally narrowed it down to two candidates then picked one at random. The winner was Stephanie, my 1999 DOTW Spain (she used to be dressed as a matador).
Anyway, I have got to a point where I am getting bored of my stash of doll’s clothes – I’ve photographed nearly everything at least once. As I haven’t done any sewing for a while, I thought I’d give the “trying to follow a pattern” business another try. I’ve never done very well at this. I settled on this dress:
Of course, these patterns were designed for the older body type so they are roomier through the bodice. I adjusted one of them for the new body type (Stephanie’s dress), but I left the other one (and, er, I think I sewed it together wrong too) so it’s a looser fit. I don’t mind this – I added some gathers and made a PVC belt, which gives it a nice modern look, I think.
Of the two, Stephanie’s was the harder. I made it from an old polycotton shirt, which shows up the stitches a lot more than the teeshirt fabric that Dahna’s dress is made from, and of course it doesn’t help that it’s plain, so I tried very hard to watch my stitch evenness and size. I think I did pretty well – my stitching ability has definitely improved, compared to my early attempts. I also didn’t like the way the bodice darts looked on this plain fabric, so I added a lace overlay. I think this actually worked out quite well.
As you can see from the first picture, I’ve cut pieces for three more dresses. However, I’m now in a bit of a conundrum. I’ve just had a new set of patterns delivered (for Skippers!) and I’d like to try them out. On the one hand, I hate not finishing things, but if I press on with these, I know I’m going to risk getting bored … Decisions decisions 🙂