I had a moment of clarity last night. I usually hate it when that happens but on this occasion it was a good thing. I have been flagging with my resolution to debox every day until my backlog has gone; although I have clearly failed to meet my target, I stick with it because at least it means that I’m prompted to open two or three dolls a week, rather than none at all. Anyhoo, yesterday I was doing the washing up or changing a nappy or something fascinating of that nature, and I suddenly thought, “hold the phone! Why the hell is that beautiful Skelita still unused and in the box? Have I gone crazy??” And so I decided to put this ridiculous situation to rights.
Now, let me just say that I do absolutely love this doll. I mention this because I’m going to talk about a lot of things I would have liked to see done differently, but none of them have really made me regret asking for her for Christmas. Actually, as we are on the subject now, lets start off with “things that could have been better”:
* Box hair! Is that meant to be wavy, or crimped, or just ratted-up? On budget dolls – OK. On special edition dolls – no.
* To paraphrase Beetlejuice: if Mattel don’t stop producing headgear that is tagged into place and can’t be properly reattached, I will go insane and I WILL TAKE YOU WITH ME. Stop. Please stop, Mattel. Right now.
* Two-colour accessories. The headpiece, shoes and hairclips are hot pink with big blobs of yellow paint. They could have looked so nice with just a little more care and attention. Maybe I will do this myself, if I ever get around to it that is …
* Limb issues. My Skelita’s joints are really stiff and because her limbs are thin, they actually bend in a scary, we-might-snap-at-any-minute kind of way. I have at least three other Skelitas and they don’t have this issue, so why should the fancy Skelita suffer from it??
* I’m not really sure if this is a criticism or just an observation – the painted shape of Skelita’s mouth does not follow the moulded line of her face sculpt’s mouth, and if you look at it the right (or wrong) way, this becomes more and more apparent. Looks a bit weird.
So, why do I like her, then? The main thing I love about this doll is that faceup. Its just lovely – the subtle flowers on her cheeks, the fuller lips. Beautiful. Her dress is also loads of fun, with the large flower print on her skirt and the lace edging. And even though I’m not the biggest fan of those oversize hairclips, she really does suit bunches.